Tuesday, June 12, 2012

When The Gentle Words Won't Come (7 Days of Hope - #1)

Welcome to the 7 Days of Hope!
I'm glad you've stopped by. Today we're reading chapter one in Hope for the Weary Mom. Did you read it? Whatcha think?
---
I live with a strong-willed-wonder. Do you have one of those? She knows how to argue a point and isn't one to let an issue drop. She's always ready for a fight and never thinks she's wrong. She's six going on sixteen.

Some days, being her mom is really, really tiring. And on those days, the gentle words are hard to come by. I resort to phrases like,
"Just do it."
"Because I said so."
And the all-time classic:
"Because I'm the mom!"

But when the dust settles and I have the chance to step back, it occurs to me that those qualities in my daughter that can drive me crazy may serve her well some day.
-She'll be tenacious.
-She'll stand up to a challenge.
-She'll be strong enough to speak her mind.
-She'll never give up.

Those things that challenge me? God has given her those traits for a reason.

---
Let's Chat:
Make an actual list of the things you love about your children. Commit to sharing at least one of these things with them each day.
What do you love about your kiddos? Let's brag on them a bit! Leave a comment and let us know!

6 comments:

  1. What a blessing you are hosting this week! Thank you and know that we are praying for you Kristie!

    I love that my girls are full of life. They will be world changers. These years are so wearying for my heart, but when I keep the bigger picture in mind, it helps keeps me focused on the mission!

    I love your notes on your daughter. Oh my, I have 4 just like her! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacey - I'm so thankful for the opportunity to participate!

      I'm sure your house is never boring, with your 4 girls around! I love that you refer to being "focused on the mission." Motherhood IS such an important mission that we get to be a part of! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I'm a mom of 3 boys, but I saw this on my newsfeed and had to comment! I too struggle with the gentle words and it breaks my heart when my strong-willed 5 year old speaks to his younger brother the same way I speak to him! I am praying for gentleness and self-control!! To brag on my oldest kiddo, though, he is sooooo imaginative and curious! His favorite statement is "I have a great idea!" He pushes me every day, all day, but I love him so much some days I think my heart is going to burst!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you stopped by! I, too, cringe sometimes when I hear my own words coming out of my daughters' mouths. It's so good that we don't have to go at this alone!

      Thanks for sharing about your son!

      Delete
  3. God is so good, and knows exactly what we need. To be honest ladies, this week I am struggling with weariness. I feel exactly how Brooke describes things in the first couple of paragraphs. My oldest has a heart of gold, but sometimes her love and care comes across completely opposite to what she intended. I have been talking to my kids, of which I have 3, about the importance of speaking love and respect to those around us. In the next breath I am saying things like "Just do it" or "You are not the mom!" This week I am going to be intentional about taking a deep breath and speaking words that are gentle and filled with love. I am so grateful for 3 children who really love the Lord and truly care about the hearts of others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're here! Motherhood is definitely weary at times. I know that this book has been such a blessing for me - and words I needed to hear at just the right moment. I hope it continues to bless you, too!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...