Sunday, June 17, 2012

Sometimes It Takes an Altar (7 Days of Hope #6)

Welcome back to 7 Days of Hope!
---

The summer before my senior year in high school, I went in a mission trip to Brazil. It was such an amazing experience - each day was filled with service; sights and sounds and memories. And each evening was filled with worship and teaching like I've never been a part of anywhere else in my life.

One night, the leaders informed us we were going to a funeral. A wooden box was set at the front of the room, and we walked past one by one. Glancing into the box, I saw a mirror...my own reflection was staring back at me. The lesson of the night was about the need to die to ourselves; to let go of all the things we so tightly held onto, and let Jesus live within us. And that place became an altar.

It been many years since that moment. And it's time to revisit it. Because its not about how great of a mother I am-- if I am the best classroom volunteer or if I've enrolled my girls in numerous extra curricular activities. The only thing that truly matter is how Jesus is living in me...how I'm mirroring Him for my daughters.

I'm not perfect. I don't have it all together, and I disappoint. But as Stacey says in this chapter,
"Sisters, we WILL disappoint. We will fail. But we can point to Him who is not weary. We can point to Him who is waiting to strengthen us."

Let's Chat:
Share some interesting places you've knelt at the altar of God in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...